Aston University, UK
In a nutshell
My main research interests include the development of tissue engineering strategies to model stem cell behaviour in the development of neuronal networks and also during neurodegeneration. I am currently engaged in developing stem cell derived models of the CNS in an attempt to study complex cellular interactions that occur in development and disease.
British Neuroscience Association (BNA) Biochemical Society
Associate editor Frontiers in Neuroscience, Neurodegeneration
SCOPUS ID: 22950882700
Programme Director MSc Stem Cells & Regenerative Medicine
Dr Hill is a senior lecturer in Stem cell biology and bioethics and is the programme director for MSc in Stem cells and regenerative medicine at Aston University. He received his PhD in cell and molecular biology from Aston university in 2005 and joined Aston university as a lecturer in 2014. His research group focus is to develop stem cell derived models of the central nervous system to understand the interaction between neurons and glia in health and disease. Dr Hill’s research has been funded by Alzheimer’s Research UK, BBSRC, NC3Rs and Human Research Trust and is also currently supported by the MRC, EPSRC. He was a co-investigator on the H2020 FET MESOBRAIN. Dr Hill is an associate editor for Frontiers Neuroscience: Neurodegeneration.
- Crowe, JA, El-Tamer, A, Nagel, D, Koroleva, AV, Madrid-Wolff, J, Olarte, OE, Sokolovsky, S, Estevez-Priego, E, Ludl, A-A, Soriano, J, Loza-Alvarez, P, Chichkov, BN, Hill, EJ, Parri, HR & Rafailov, EU 2020, ‘Development of two-photon polymerised scaffolds for optical interrogation and neurite guidance of human iPSC-derived cortical neuronal networks’, Lab on a Chip, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1792-1806. https://doi.org/10.1039/c9lc01209e
- Karikari, TK, Nagel, DA, Grainger, A, Clarke-Bland, C, Crowe, J, Hill, EJ & Moffat, KG 2019, ‘Distinct conformations, aggregation and cellular internalization of different tau strains’, Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, vol. 13, 296. https://doi.org/10.3389/fncel.2019.00296
- George, JH, Nagel, D, Waller, S, Hill, E, Parri, HR, Coleman, MD, Cui, Z & Ye, H 2018, ‘A closer look at neuron interaction with track-etched microporous membranes’, Scientific Reports, vol. 8, no. 1, 15552. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-33710-6
- Tarczyluk, MA, Nagel, DA, Parri, HR, Tse, EHY, Brown, JE, Coleman, MD & Hill, EJ 2015, ‘Amyloid β 1-42 induces hypometabolism in human stem cell-derived neuron and astrocyte networks’, Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1348-1357. https://doi.org/10.1038/jcbfm.2015.58
- Tarczyluk, MA, Nagel, DA, O’Neil, J, Parri, HR, Tse, EHY, Coleman, MD & Hill, EJ 2013, ‘Functional astrocyte-neuron lactate shuttle in a human stem cell-derived neuronal network’, Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1386-1393. https://doi.org/10.1038/jcbfm.2013.81